Friday, June 17, 2011

run yo' mouth

Is honesty really the best policy? I find myself fighting this issue a lot. Many times I ask myself, “Am I being too harsh with people? Maybe I should just not speak my mind so much”. I think the answer is that America is full of so much bullshit and lies; so for me to at least speak the truth, and say things that should remain unsaid is just not my style.

While saying this, I appreciate honesty with face to face contact. I think it’s common for people to maybe say more than they are willing to say in person when writing an e-mail or a text. People who don’t have balls tend to hide behind e-mails/texts. To you people: Speak to me face to face. I find it cowardly when I get an e-mail that could start an altercation, when you wouldn’t say half those things to my face. What did the cavemen do back in the day when they were fighting over women? They didn’t send a BBM, they probably grunted to each other and got their clubs out and beat the shit out of each other.

Here is a perfect example, from my e-mail vault of what NOT to do. I can laugh about this e-mail now…but for a while it stung pretty badly. However, I must say I appreciate the honesty in this.

“Sorry I've been super busy at work, I am the only ********** right
now, everyone is on vacation.
Also, I had a great weekend with you and I think we connected nicely.
But that just got me thinking all day Sunday after you left. Stuff
like "Is this what its going to be like?" (a good weekend then
leaving) "Are we really going to be able to deal with such huge
differences?"(marriage, kids, dogs, liberal v conservative, cranking
down your chapstick when I leave mine up, all that important stuff)
and then there is the divorce thing and I just realized that how ever
much we get a long, there is so much wrong with it all and I don't
want to go down that path with someone that I know (or am relatively
sure) isn't going to end up being my wife. I am "young" at 28 (going
on 29) but I want things now and I want to be leading to an end and
the reality is that it just probably isn't going to be you. Before we
start falling deep and investing a whole lot of time, love and, let's
be honest, money (BTW you forgot your gas card young lady) I feel it
best to stop the romantic side of things. It just isn't going to work
and I don't want to lead you to a place where you will resent me for
it forever.
I was going to call you later, but it has been picking at me all week
and I couldn't wait anymore.”


( who knew chapstick was a dealbreaker?)

No comments:

Post a Comment